Ultimi & popolari
Aiuti & Utilities
Pablo Lorenzzoni: EeePC: Surviving liquid spills - phase II
About four months ago I described how my EeePC survived the spilling of orange juice over its keyboard. No! I never spilled anything on it again, if thatâ€™s what youâ€™re thinkingâ€¦ But I noticed that some keys (those that got more juice on) began to malfunction. At the beginning I paid no attention to it, hoping that it would just go away, but, eventually, they just stop workingâ€¦ And those are not just unimportant keysâ€¦ I am talking about arrows and the forward-slash (/) keys in the lower right corner of the keyboard!!! How could I survive without those keys, without a quick access to my bash history and vim search?
Well, I began googling around and found some good advice. Everything that made sense regarding how to cleanup my keyboard I compiled and, when I was enough confident it would work, I just follow the procedure Iâ€™ve devised. This is what I did:
After turning it off and removing the battery, I removed the keyboard. Check the instructions I linked in my previous article for some pictures on how to do it.
I poured 500 mL of distilled water in a clean plastic box (I bought 1L for BRL 20 at a local pharmacy), added enough dish detergent to make some foam (I was careful to select a non-biodegradable one) and drowned the whole keyboard in the solution.
For the next 30 minutes I pressed and released the affected keys over and over again. My intention was to dissolve anything that might have remained from the orange juice.
I left it soaking in the solution for the next 12 hours.
The next day I got the keyboard out of the solution and used current tap water to remove any detergent still left in it. This might have took about 10 minutes.
Our tap water is really clean, but its hard, and I would not like to remove any juice from the keyboard just to add some minerals that might have the same effect, so after I was certain all the detergent was removed, I left the keyboard in the remaining of the distilled water for another 12 hour soak.
After that I just removed the keyboard from the soak, dried it a little bit using a paper towel and left it to air-dry (away from the sun). I donâ€™t remember how long it took, but I believe not more than 4 hoursâ€¦ Those were hot daysâ€¦ Anyway, I was really sure it was dry.
When I plugged it back, surprise! All keys are working again! Of course, that was just what worked for meâ€¦ Best advice still is: Keep liquids away your EeePC!
ZioBudda.net sta crescendo sempre di più, ma mi serve una mano per portare avanti i progetti e per rendere il sito sempre più bello e pieno di informazioni.